Thursday, June 28, 2012

Grumpy Old Lady!

I always thought I'd never became a grumpy old woman!  Now I know many friends wouldn’t argue with my being called just that!  Certainly not all the time but when triggered by something I would probably have ignored in younger days.

What is it about getting older that makes one - or me - less tolerant of all things I consider stupid or ignorant or just plain annoying!  When I was a 'young thing' as the 'oldies' called anyone under 40 I though 'what silly old b#$$*^'s!  I could never foresee myself as in the same condition once I passed 50 yet here I am.

Maybe it is simply a 'right of passage on the way to the grave'
Older but Any Wiser?

In our journey through life we need to remember - 'When you grow old and ugly / as some folks do / Remember you have a friend / Who's old and ugly too.'  The ancient riddle of the Sphinx asks what walks on four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon and three legs in the evening. The answer is man, who crawls on four legs as a baby, then walks on two until toward the end of his life, he may acquire a cane.  Or we see the four 'seasons' - youth emerging and blooming in spring, maturing in summer, mellowing through fall, then facing the vicissitudes of winter.

Our phases of life, infancy, childhood, school, courtship, marriage, work, retirement, old age and death create memories.  Life phases can be looked back on with enjoyment at the subtle rhythms that are a part of our lives.  Maybe whinging is, in fact, one of the things that elderly people do.  Maybe as older adults we review, and reminiscences and interpret past experiences and as we get a step closer to death these rituals help us establish a satisfying life story.

Many generations ago a family was a single  intertwined group with older adults living in the family home though they usually did not live as long as people do today.  Times have changed in many ways but human nature probably not so much!

I must say there is a certain pleasure in having a good old whinge about things!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...